- The degree shall be awarded on the basis of publically performed or published original contributions of special excellence in musical composition, performance (including conducting), or scholarship.
- Every candidate for the degree must either,
- have held the degree of Bachelor of Music for at least five years before applying for admission to the degree; or
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the degree.
- A candidate for the degree shall normally be a graduate of the University of Otago or shall have had some other formal academic association with the University.