Updating Results
Loading interface...

Master of Specialist Teaching

  • Masters (Coursework)

The Master of Specialist Teaching has reduced (starting in 2015) from 240 credits to 180 credits. This means you can now complete this qualification in three years of part-time study.

Key details

Degree Type
Masters (Coursework)

About this course

Take less of your time

The Master of Specialist Teaching has reduced (starting in 2015) from 240 credits to 180 credits. This means you can now complete this qualification in three years of part-time study.

Entry requirements

Entry requirements for the Master of Specialist Teaching are detailed in the regulations. All new applicants to a Specialist Teaching programme at Massey University must make an online Selected Entry application and be selected onto the programme. Students previously selected for and enrolled in a Specialist Teaching programme at Massey University will apply online but will not go through the selection process.

The closing date for applications is Saturday 11 January 2020.

For applicants who have completed a Massey University Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching, the closing date for Semester Two applications is 10 June.

If you have applied for a MOE study award and/or hold an RTLB position, you should be applying for the Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching.

Entry requirements:

  • a completed degree from a New Zealand university with a minimum B grade average across the 300-level courses (or equivalent); and
  • a relevant professional qualification; and
  • at least two years relevant professional experience or
  • a completed Postgraduate Diploma in Specialist Teaching (or equivalent) with a minimum B average.

What documents do you need to supply to support your application?

  • a copy of your academic transcript/s
  • a copy of your current curriculum vitae (including education and employment for at least the last five years). Further details of this requirement can be found below.
  • a verified copy of your current practising certificate issued by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand (if a registered teacher with a current full practising certificate)

If you are not a registered teacher or you are a registered teacher without a current full practising certificate, you will also need to supply:

  • a completed NZ Police Request and Consent form, along with two pieces of verified identification (one of which must be photographic) from the list of acceptable forms of identification
  • a copy of a police report from every overseas country you have lived in for more 12 months in the last 10 years. Please do not supply originals as these will need to be supplied to the Education Council at a later date.

If you do not hold a current New Zealand professional registration you will be required to undergo police vetting prior to gaining entry into the programme.

If your first language is not English and you have not gained a New Zealand university entrance qualification, or an overseas entrance qualification in a country where the main language is English, you will be required to provide evidence of proficiency in English in the form of an academic International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 7.0 with no band less than 7.0 (or the equivalent TOEFL score) or other evidence that is acceptable to Academic Board.

IELTS EXEMPTION: A teacher who has registered with the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand and holds a current Practising Certificate, will be exempted from meeting this English language requirement. For more information, see: teachingcouncil.nz

If you have any short or long-term disability including learning disability or heath issue that may affect your study, please upload a summary in your application. If you disclose any disability, health or personal information as part of your application, this will be assessed during the selection process and is confidential to the University staff processing your application.

Curriculum vitae: Please provide a full CV including details of your educational and professional qualifications, employment history with dates and descriptions of roles and responsibilities, membership of associations/organisations, and a list of professional publications and research reports.

For general entry requirements see Massey University entry requirements.

Study locations

Distance Learning